Thursday, September 20, 2012

Book Review - LOCKED WITHIN by Paul Anthony Shortt

LOCKED WITHIN by Paul Anthony Shortt is set for release in November 2012, and I cannot wait for it to come out! This was an absolute thriller and kept me glued to the pages until the end!

I'm not gonna lie... I started the book on a Sunday afternoon when my husband and baby were having a nap, and I figured I would read for a half hour or so. Um... yeah right. When I finally came up for air, it was three hours later and then I was hooked and had to keep reading until I finished. I'm a bit of an addict that way.
 Locked Within
What I loved about this book was that it is set in present day New York. You can smell the smells of New York (yummy street vendors!) and really lose yourself in the realism of it. And then, out of nowhere, it becomes a supernatural world. Now, I'm not talking Twilight... this is much more of a Vampire Diaries type book... darker, more realistic and emotional. It deals with vampires, soul eaters, witches and necromancers without losing sight of what it is to be lonely or afraid or, simply put, mortal. The main character, Nathan, struggles to maintain a dying relationship while also coming into his own and dealing with family issues, friendships and betrayals and having to save NewYork City from certain ruin.

Nathan was a solid character to get behind. He had flaws, and yet he overcame them. He admitted his mistakes. He became someone stronger and better throughout the course of the novel. His girlfriend, best friend and even the villains were also absolutely believable, right to the very last scene.

This is a must-read for anyone who calls themselves a magical fantasy fan. A full 5 out of 5 stars and I an excited to read more from Shortt!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment